Thursday, October 1, 2009

Seven Houses Five Trees

After considering several things that actually come in "twelves," I decided to create a quilt using elements of 12 in my design. I enjoy creating graphic landscapes and hadn't really explored that in any of my other 12x12 pieces. (My identity and math quilts are technically landscapes, but they are missing the usual elements from my quilted landscapes.)

I also haven't really created any quilts in strong, straightforward colors. Red is especially lacking. My chair quilt is colorful, but in a different way.

So I started off with the very general idea of creating a landscape including some red. I also wanted to work more loosely. I was inspired by paintings I found in Nino Art Studio on Etsy. Eventually, I created this wacky little world.

The black tree and house elements make up the first 12. There are two sets of 12 green brush strokes on the right. There are also 12 red dots in the sky. And Roman numeral 12s stitched across the hillside.

I loved doing all the hand stitching. It's a lot of stitching and it takes a lot of time, but as I'm stitching I never wish I were doing it any differently. (As long as I've allowed enough time before the deadline.)

I think the binding is especially effective. I fused a simple blue binding and covered it with long stitches all the way around to match the color of the main part of the quilt.
I love the way the blue binding still peeks through.

This was a quilt that kept wanting more. More paint, more layers, more stitching. I may have stopped too soon. And I really didn't loosen up as much as I would like to. But, I'm pleased and I'd like to go knock on the doors of those seven houses!

15 comments:

Gerrie said...

I knew who did this when the image appeared. I love, love your little landscapes and this does not disappoint. What a clever interpretation of 12! Your hand stitching is so fabulous.

Del said...

Great quilt. Hope I see more of your work in the future. Del Thomas

Diane Perin said...

Deborah, you have created another whimsical, artful landscape that speaks so clearly of your aesthetic. I truly love this one. You have a great sense of where/how to add color and pattern and texture -- the balance is excellent. I love your use of handstitching, especially on the border. I could look at this a long time!

Terry Grant said...

I love this too. Your landscape elements are distinctively yours, but you have taken a leap with color here and it is wonderful! Of course red IS my favorite color, so you are speaking my design language here. Maybe my favorite of all your pieces!

Kristin L said...

My favorite part? All the little roman numeral 12s! I saw them before I even read your description. The 12s may be subtle here, but I think that's a nice change to all our other more outward interpretations. The binding is perfect for your voice -- I hope/expect that we'll be seeing more of it!

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is a fabulous landscape piece. I am enamored with that binding technique. The hand stitching and the references of twelve really make this come together. I agree with the layers too, sometimes it's hard to know when to stop or go on.

Unknown said...

If you drive or take the train south from Penrith you pass Tebay a ribbon development of several terraced houses, all of different colours which line up proudly in their isolation. Your houses remind me of them. I bet there is a good community feel living in them.

kirsten said...

My absolutely FAVOURITE Deborah quilt! I WANT this quilt. I want to hang it on my wall and look at it every day. The binding idea is fantastic! I've never seen anything like that before. Love the curves, the red, the trees, the blue stitches in the sky...just love love love.
K xxx

Gerrie said...

Kirsty, I realize I wasn't forceful enough in my love for this. I love it more that you.

kirsten said...

Gerrie, I'll meet you in the car park...

Jeannie said...

Wow! I love this! Your use of color and images is amazing. It really is a beautiful piece of art.

Nikki said...

Beautiful and so you (even with the red and orange)! I love all the details.

Françoise said...

Beautiful little landscape quilt! I like all these curves and the lovely colours, and the printing, and the stitches, and everything.
Would love to have it, but Gerrie and Kirsty are already fighting for it...

Unknown said...

Clever combination of numbers and shapes. Love the overall clarity

Brenda said...

Snap! Isn't the Roman numeral stitching fun? In fact, this whole piece is plain fun. Every time I look at it, I see something new.