Sunday, October 18, 2009

How DID She Do That?



I'm pretty good at "backwards engineering" things that I see. I can look at rather complex traditional quilts and find the repeating blocks. I can spot Photoshop jobs from a mile away. I can figure out how most art quilts I see have been constructed -- even if I have no clue what was going on in their maker's head when they were conceived.

But I can't separate the layers on Karen's shelter quilt, and I definitely couldn't have visualized what she did.

Karen's subtle layers of hand dyed cotton, painted sheers, and screen printing all blend masterfully to create a believable atmosphere. If only I could step into my computer screen I know I could walk up those steps and feel the misty air. This is one quilt that I long to see in person so it may unlock it's secrets to me.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I had so much fun making this, and it's my favorite of all my 12"s

Gerrie said...

I so agree, Kristin. Although, I have a pretty good handle on how she did it. It is the one that I wish I had made!!

Brenda said...

I'm looking forward to the possibility of a 12x12 retreat where we can all get our hands dirty and try out some of the different techniques.

Lisa Chin said...

This IS Amazing work.

Diane Perin said...

Excellent choice, Kristin! And I agree -it's among my favorites and I long to see it in person because it has such a sense of mystery about it.

Dotti said...

This quilt must be awesome. The photo of it is amazing but I already know these photos never do justice to the real mccoy, nor do they bring out all the layers.