Thursday, October 1, 2009

Twelve Women

It's been 2 years since Diane asked me to participate in this online group, and I can't even begin to tell you what a wonderful adventure it has been. I have been pushed to create art I never would have come up with on my own, I have had feedback from people all over the world, and the most important part is that I have eleven new friends. The twelve of us have such diverse personalities and yet we all work together so well. We feed off each other, we give advice, we encourage, we critique, and in my opinion we have become a very unique group.


Twelve Women celebrates us, our friendships and our future endeavors. Thank you Diane, for starting this group, and thank you to the rest of you for being the strong, creative women that you (we) are.

This piece was made using my own deconstructed black and white fabric, with a sheer silk overlay. The figures and lettering were painted on using stamps and a thermofax screen. I then added handstitching to the painted areas.

14 comments:

Diane Perin said...

Karen, I love this. I love the linear women (oh, if that were my shape...)and the lines against the circular texture... The text is great, too. This has wonderful balance. Great color.

And thank YOU (and all of you guys) for making this group challenge so successful. Who know this little creative experiment would take us so far?!

Gerrie said...

Gaaaa! I always love your work. You do the art that I have in my head, but can't do. Like Diane, I love the shape of the women! She is inside me trying to get out!! Beautiful work, as usual.

Françoise said...

I love it too. Your women look so elegant and sophisticated. (Am I like this, really? Wait and see...)
And the background is very effective. Beautiful!

Terry Grant said...

Oh my--I have a large lump in my throat! This is so beautiful and so meaningful. Thank you, Karen, for saying what I think we are all feeling. You expressed it perfectly both visually and in words.

Kristin L said...

It's so simple and so effective -- and who doesn't love themselves as a svelte, statuesque woman? It's a wonderful tribute to the group. Thanks.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Karen I love this piece! I'm so happy we are together in this group!

Unknown said...

It is a piece that says 'strength' to me. Stong art, strong group, strong women. Strong desire to nick your silhouette idea and go and make an African quilt with it...!

PAMELA said...

Hi Karen, Your deconstructed piece is divine and a great finale to the 12th challenge. I am soon off to the a 5-day workshop on deconstructed screen printing - your quilt has inspired and reignited my excitement with this process - a completely new one to me! Thanks for sharing.
Pamela in Sydney, Aust.

JYA Fiberarts said...

This piece is simple and lovely. You are the dynamic dozen!

Deborah Boschert said...

I love the figure shape also. And that circular pattern in the background is beautiful. Such a lovely color scheme too. And most importantly, such kind, enthusiastic, supportive words about our group. I feel so lucky.

kirsten said...

Oh, yes! Look at the strength in those women! Lovely, Karen. You have a restraint that I can only admire from afar :)

Brenda said...

This is such an elegant work. Thank you Karen!

Nikki said...

Thank you all for inspiring me to live up to this image of 12 strong women. Your love and encouragment is priceless.

Unknown said...

like the delicate presentation. Are all you ladies so slim?