Friday, October 23, 2009

Most Surprising

Honestly, the first thing that comes to my mind is how surprising this whole experience has been. When Diane invited me to participate more than two years ago, I just thought it sounded fun. Sure, it's been fun. But, it's been much much more.

I have grown to know, respect, appreciate and completely enjoy every moment with the eleven other artists. A delightful surprise.

Also, I've created a body of work with my 12 pieces that I am very proud of and is a great representation of me as an artist. Who knew I was essentially creating a portfolio for myself? I would guess several of the other 12s would say the same thing. A delightful surprise.

As far as surprising quilts, where to begin?

Surprisingly similar: Chocolate quilts by me, Brenda and Nikki.
Surprisingly realistic:
Diane's Shelter quilt
There are other quilts with lots of realism, but several of them include image transfer of photographs (which is wonderful!). I love this image that Diane created exclusively with fabric and thread!

Surprisingly candid: Terry's Chair quilt
Terry shared a lovely story about spending time with her granddaughter and her cousin. This quilt is so evocative of those experiences.

Surprisingly moving: Kristin's Twelve quilt
Surprisingly educational: Helen's Illumination quilt
I was totally unaware of Blackpool or Blackpool rock candy. Helen's original blog post was so interesting and I did quite a bit of internet surfing, "research" and reading about it after seeing this quilt.

I can't wait to see what surprises will come with the next round of "colorplay" quilts!

6 comments:

Kristin L said...

Lots of surprises indeed. I think my biggest surprise (in a good way) was when I realized the meaning behind Kirsty's Passion quilt! Oh!!

Karen said...

I just love revisiting our quilts,it's like visiting an old friend.

Dotti said...

Just happening upon your 12x12 group and it's reveals was a happy surprise to me. I don't even remember how I found this blog!

Nikki said...

I have to chuckle every time Kirsty's "Oh!" is mentioned.

I would have to say my biggest surprise wasn't a quilt, but being invited in the first place and the wonderful adventure this has been! I'm looking forward to all the future surprises this project brings.

QuiltingCyclist said...

You have discovered new horizons through sharing and implementing your 12X12. My hats off to you all. I hope to someday participate in one of these. And, I would LOVE a postcard!
Mona in Texas

Annedore said...

Getting in touch with people is one of my favorite aspects in quilting. Yes, I'd like to receive a postcard and promise to answer from everywhere I go, f.e. my next trip to London to the Clapton-Beck concerts.
Regards from Germany, Annedore