Monday, October 12, 2009

For Some, One is Never Enough

Some of the Twelves often made more than one piece for each theme. To Brenda goes the award for producing the most work in search of the perfect interpretation of each theme. I think that she made more than one piece for at least 7 of the themes. And sometimes, Brenda made more than one extra for a theme. Kristin comes in second, making more than one piece for about 5 of the challenges.

Diane, Terry and I made an extra piece for only one of the themes — Diane and I for chocolate and Terry for Shelter.

The others may have had other great ideas, but only completed the pieces that were shown on the blog.

I have been asked to select my favorite Also Ran. That was easy and probably because I had seen it in person. That would be one of the pieces that Terry made for Shelter. You see it at the beginning of this post. It was a pictorial representation of her, then, new home. The colors make the home look warm and welcoming. I also like the way Terry stylized the tree, shrubs and plants. She ended up doing a piece with strong, simple graphic elements, a quite different interpretation of shelter. And because Terry is so talented, they are both terrific.

7 comments:

Kristin L said...

Thank you for reminding us of this wonderful Also Ran! I had forgotten about it, but now remember the blue chair in the window, which I thought was so indicative of Terry's attention to detail. :-)

Brenda said...

You're right Gerrie, I made mutltiple works for every theme except "Shelter" (when I was travelling) and "Identity". Thanks for reminding us about Terry's wonderful house quilt.

Terry Grant said...

When I finished that first one about a year ago, I really, really disliked it! Now that time has gone by I feel a little more kindly toward it, and appreciate Gerrie's kind words! Thanks, Gerrie.

Nikki said...

I love Brenda's Dodecaphony. The colors are so rich and I love that it was created with a random number generator. Very cool!

Kristin L said...

Oh yes Nikki -- that was a good one! I have grand plans of destroying my "Water" quilt on video and having "Dodecaphony" as the sound track would be fantastic!

Suze said...

Terry..
looking at your cool house picture again..and I think I know why its a bit odd seeming..the blue chair has no black outline around it like all your other shapes!..I think you might have liked it more if that were there...anyway I like it and have liked it since you first posted it!!

Dotti said...

I love the subtle and bold geometrics of these two pieces which is depicted by both line and color.