Saturday, October 17, 2009

Biggest Stretch of the Theme

The award goes to... Kristin's water quilt - Sustainer & Destroyer!
Not only did Kristin choose to make a quilt about the destroying power of water, but she actually did use materials that can be destroyed by water. Soluble thread and interfacing, basting glue, watercolours...
And, can you imagine that she's planning to, one day, pour water on her quilt to ruin it? Such a lovely piece of work!
Kristin, if you really do this, I want to be present that day. And I guess all the other twelves will want to be there too... (Hawaii would be the perfect place, after our exhibitions of course.)

4 comments:

Gerrie said...

Love that idea, Francoise! This is an excellent choice for this award.

Diane Perin said...

Yes! Excellent choice! I would never even conceived of making a quilt from water soluble materials - and still can't conceive of letting it dissolve!

Kristin L said...

When I read the idea for a "biggest stretch of the theme" award, I was imagining somebody's piece that, on the surface, didn't seem to embody the theme, but upon closer inspection or lots of explaining, did. Kind of like when my in-laws were discussing whether it was lettuce or grapes that we should be boycotting and my FIL made a comment about the Los Angeles Dodgers. I followed the track-change in his train of thought, but it was a big stretch. However, Françoise, you've interpreted it as the artwork that takes the theme the farthest -- and I am honored that you thought of my quilt! This was a big surprise. Thank you.

Dotti said...

Very cleverly executed. KUDOS!