Friday, October 2, 2009

A Colorful New Journey

Having just cycled through twelve wonderful challenges, we're off again on another round! But this time, we're changing things a bit. So here are our parameters:

* Size will be 12x12 inches square again

* The over-arching theme will be COLOR!

* The host of each challenge will determine the parameters of the color challenge, and how that colorway or palette will be described. The challenge host may choose to post a photo as the color inspiration, or set a palette of several colors, or use a descriptive word out of which the artist may "pull" a color palette (ie, "seashore" or "autumn" or "circus," say). Of course, given the extreme creativity of our participants, the host may chose any other way to communicate a color or palette for the challenge. I'm thinking of this round as the Colorplay Challenges.

I'm excited!

And here's our first challenge of Round 2, which will be revealed on (drum roll, please!): December 12! Get it? 12/12! (This was Nikki's brilliant idea, I believe.) I'm a word person, and I'm in a simple and direct mood, so you get one word for this challenge.

PINK.

Yep. Pink. I know it's not the comfort zone for some of you, but I'm thinking that's why I'll really look forward to seeing where this goes! Me, I love pink -- so I'm giving it it's own place oif honor in our Colorplay challenges. (This probably goes without saying, but you can go in what ever direction you want with it, and you are not limited to using only pink. So, off you go!

Start thinking pink!

17 comments:

Gerrie said...

I am laughing hysterically. I just told Kirsty last night that I am not a pink person. I was choosing some of the luscious hand-dyed embroidery thread that she has in her shop. I should have gotten some pink.

Françoise said...

Wonderful! I never looked at pink before..
But now that I'm the grandmother of a little girl, I see pink everywhere!

Diane Perin said...

Perhaps the title of yours can be "I am not a pink person!"

Nikki said...

Pink -- this is going to be fun. With three girls we have a lot of pink. I don't know if I have much in my stash, but at least I have a lot of inspiration. I can't wait to se what all our "not a pink persons" do!

Terry Grant said...

Raising hand--another "not a pink person" here. I have a reeeeeeeal problem with pink--just kind of hate it! So this will be a challenge, but I am up for it! I think I need to take another look at pink, see it in a new way. I'm sure finally confronting pink and meeting it head-on will make me a much better person.

Kristin L said...

Pink is a great choice to reveal during Breast Cancer Awareness month (inspiration Gerrie?)! I just took up kick boxing and bought pink tapes and gloves! Having a little girl around has broadened my appreciation of pink in recent years. I actually like P!nk too. ;-)

Fun, fun, fun!

Terri Stegmiller said...

I had to laugh when I read what the color is. My first vision when I thought about pink was "pink eye". Just yesterday, hubby came home and said there's a guy on the job that has it. UGH!

Unknown said...

YOu know fo you read/ say the word pink so many times it sounds really odd! I hate pink. Let's see how I subvert this theme :)

Deborah Boschert said...

Seriously?

Me too.

So. Not. A. Pink. Person.

Brenda said...

Me? I'm quite partial to pink :-) I even wear it sometimes - but not Barbie pink.

Diane Perin said...

I truly didn't intend to pick a color some of you detest -- but I do consider pink a much-maligned and under-appreciated color! So I will really be looking forward to seeing how you all approach it.

Karen said...

I know pink is much maligned in my brain, but the whole idea for me is to explore things I wouldn't ordinarily so I'm up for the cahllange.

Deborah Boschert said...

I'm just being a grouch. ;) Actually, I think it will be a good challenge and I've already got ideas brewing.

Anonymous said...

*whispering* I like pink. I don't mind making a pink quilt :)

Gerrie said...

We knew you would say that, Kirsty - you do not have to whisper.

Diane Perin said...

Ah, Kirsty, I knew I had another "Ally in Pinkness!"

Linda Barnwell said...

Isn't pink just light red?? Maybe the word itself turns people off...nobody gets as emotional about the equivalent shade (hue? tint? -I never get the words right) of blue.