Thursday, October 22, 2009

Most Bling

The Most Bling. This one was a hard one for me, not because I couldn't think of any quilts with bling, but because they were all mine. I seem to be the one who doesn't quite know when to stop when it comes to embellishment. The other members of the group are much more sophisticated and reserved. Their designs rely upon other strengths. The challenge of finding the most bling did lead me through another wonderful walk through all 144 quilts. And guess what I found, Bling!, and a beautiful, elegant example of it.


Karen's "Enlightenment" from August 2008.




Karen used beautiful sequined Indian fabrics and beads to illustrate the eastern religious idea of illumination signifying enlightenment. The sequins and beads make the piece sparkle!

7 comments:

Gerrie said...

Good choice, Nikki! I love that piece for its use of bling. Other than Helen's whirling lights, this is about as glitzy as we got.

Dotti said...

Having lived in Thailand and Taiwan this one caught my eye right off the bat when Illumination was first revealed. It does reflect the serenity of the religion!

Julia said...

I have enjoyed lurking in the side lines of this blog and your web site. You all do some pretty amazing quilts. I love it and keep it up!

JB said...

I never even thought about bling with regards to this year's output. This was an excellent choice. I can't believe that some of the choices in your recent blogs seem new to me as though I had never seen them before, even though I have followed the blog all year. I like this review that you are doing.

Kristin L said...

When I paired up 12s with awards for this review, I was a little disappointed that you got paired with "Most Bling" because I too, was thinking of your quilts (Dandelion Wine in particular). But, I was committed to the random picking system -- so there you go. But you have come through with flying colors! I had forgotten how much embellishment was on Karen's quilt and it is a treat to be reminded of it. :-)

Karen said...

Wow, thank you so much for this honor! I don't usually use much bling in my quilts but this piece sort of made itself. And if you remember, I ironed it while working on it and melted all the plastic pearls. I then had to pry them off and replace them, stitching new ones on, one at a time, which reminded me why I don't use much bling!

SandyQuilts said...

Oh so pretty. I'll have to try some bling next time.