Friday, November 18, 2011

Thinking about Metamorphosis

I love the new theme of Metamorphosis that we will be working with. It conjures up all kinds of thoughts of change and growth and moving into a new phase. Exciting stuff. Coincidentally, one of my favorite quilts at the IQF show in Houston a couple of weeks ago, (you know the one—we Twelves have been talking of nothing else!) was a beautiful piece called "Metamorphosis" by Gabrielle Paquin of Orleans, France.

I adored its clean, graphic lines and it is made from wonderful woven plaid and stripe shirting fabrics, another thing I adore. Here is just a part of my collection of shirtings, which I just happened to tidy and move to my studio yesterday.
After I got home from Houston I had to find Gabrielle Paquin's web site to see what else she has done. Wonderful work and she uses the butterfly image and the name "Metamorphosis" a lot. The link to her web site is above.

Given my collection of shirtings, I could do my own take on Gabrielle Paquin's work and have my "Metamorphosis" done! But why would I do that when she has already done it to perfection? Well, I wouldn't, of course. It will be fun to dream up my own interpretation of metamorphosis, but it will be hard to pull my mind away from this lovely, lovely image.

2 comments:

Kristin L said...

I loved that quilt too. But you are right, it's been done so now we have to put our own spin on the theme. I had an epiphany last night that might work. I like how things have a tendency to bubble up in one's subconscious given enough time.

Jaye said...

This is one of my favorite quilts from the Houston show too...I love the crispness of the design and the wonderful choice of fabrics....fantastic quilting, too!!