Friday, November 11, 2011

Another Glass Quilt

This is my beautiful plate, made by Karen's husband Ted. Isn't it wonderful? I really love it! It is based on my Kilauea quilt for the colorplay challenge.

I have a little story to tell about mine. The first time I met Karen, a couple years ago, she brought beautiful gifts of Ted's specially designed glass plates to me and Gerrie. Gerrie's was very clearly based on her "mathematics" quilt. It wasn't until later that I realized that mine was based on my "water" quilt. Some designs are clearly much more difficult to render in glass than others. My plate was beautiful, I thought, but not as close a match to the original as Gerrie's. I loved looking at it, displayed on a shelf in my dining room. A couple of months ago a box arrived in the mail with the plate you see above and a short note from Karen. She said Ted had never been happy with the piece he'd made for me and had made another! I was speechless. When the subject of the plates came up in Houston I didn't tell my fellow Twelves that I actually have TWO of Ted's beautiful pieces. I knew they'd be jealous! Now the secret is out. What a very special gift.  And while I still love the first plate, this one just knocks my socks off.

Thanks, Karen and Ted!

8 comments:

Kristin L said...

Oh yes, I am jealous!

Jaye said...

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed seeing your exhibit in Houston. I have a copy of your book and LOVE it!!! thanks so much for the wonderful inspiration!

Kirsty said...

Maybe I shouldn't have been so enthusiastic about mine?! ;)
Ted has done such an amazing and masterful job of these, hasn't he?

Carla said...

These plates are treasures.

Maree S said...

Wow these plates are so fantastic, Ted has done a beautiful job. Love your new plate Terry, it is gorgeous. Will you post a photo of your Water plate also? Look forward to hearing about your new challenge as you are all so inspriational. Regards, Maree

Ted Rips said...

As I view all your comments I am going beyond the point of being embarrassed. I am going to need a larger studio because my head is going to be too large to fit into it! While I am enjoying it, I think my twelve minutes of fame should be almost over. I feel a bit like Yoko in the EMI studios.

While adaption from cloth to glass is kind of cool, it must be noted that I am using your design elements and ideas, as well as your use of color. I think the talent belongs to all of you. The proof is in the reception that you all got in Houston, and your growing legion of fans.

Terry's plate being a re-do was the last one I did. When I put the assembled piece in the oven, I was not sure how it was going to turn out. Glass pieces of this size and thickness must sit in the oven about 13 hours undisturbed before you can open the lid and see what is inside. Sometimes you open the oven and find a huge bubble, or a broken piece or something other than what you expected. For me, this piece represented one of those moments when you gasp, when you feel that you have done something way beyond your capability.

Terry Grant said...

Ted, your description of opening the oven and seeing this plate makes it all the more special to me. It was so much fun to spend time with you and Karen this summer and Ray and I hope to get together with you again soon! Hasn't this Twelve by Twelve thing been a grand thing for all of us? How blessed I feel.

Brenda said...

Ted has posted an image of the first plate he made for Terry on his blog at http://sanityartglass.blogspot.com/2011/11/power-of-twelves.html