Friday, November 11, 2011

A Fused Glass Quilt




As everyone knows, nine of the Twelves had a rendezvous at IQF in Houston. As part of this meeting, we exchanged some lovely gifts. They will not be shared until those who weren't there, get their packages in the mail. 

Karen's husband, a fused glass artist, made each of us a fused glass plate that was inspired by one of our Twelve by Twelve quilts. I received mine some time ago when Karen came to Portland for a visit. She has shipped plates to all of the twelves by now, and I hope they will share theirs, soon. I am anxious to see them all.

My beautiful plate was inspired by my mathematics themed quilt. A big thank you to Karen and Ted.

8 comments:

Maree said...

What a clever man and what an absolutely beautiful gift that I am sure you will treasure for ever. Cant wait to see the others.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Love what Ted did with your plate!

Vicki W said...

That is incredibly cool!

Deborah Boschert said...

I'll take pictures of my plate tomorrow! Such an incredibly generous and unique gift.

Kristin L said...

I love that Ted used different types of glass on yours. The variations are really cool.

Ted Rips said...

Karen and I, along with our daughter Val and her husband were in Portland for the wedding of our niece. It was New Years day and Karen had set up a breakfast meet with her "Twelve" friends Gerrie and Terry. The restaurant was around the corner from our hotel. Karen said that we were on our own for breakfast. The three of us were a little put out and decided to go to the restaurant anyway but to sit across the room and put a napkin or something in front of our faces whenever Karen looked our way. We really wanted to have three of the "nose, mustache, eyeglasses" masks. At the end of breakfast Karen introduced us. Since then we have broken bread together on a number of occasions, both in Portland and once in Santa Barbara. Both have great husbands, whom I consider to be friends.

I have always liked this art quilt, both for it's simplicity and for the complex mathematical concepts that it represents. I believe that all the answers in the universe can be found within the circle, square, triangle, and their variations. The same can be said of colors, as well as musical notes.

This was the first plate that I was able to visit.

Brenda said...

Ted and Karen, you aee welcome to come and visit my dish in Australia!

Gerrie said...

Oh, Ted! I have just seen your comment and it makes me so happy. Mr C considers you a friend, too. You are welcome to come visit this piece any time you are in Portland.