Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The sugar bowl

 
Oh, that sugar bowl! Is there anyone who, as a child, did not lick their finger and, when no one was looking, stick it into the sugar bowl? Oh dear, maybe I was the only one. Sugar has always been my weakness. Sigh. It just isn't good for you, but it it calls to me. Still.

I carried home my grandmother's silver sugar bowl and creamer after she died, and I get them out so seldom I can't actually remember the last time. But when I do I am still tempted to stick my finger in for a quick rush of pure sugar.

I have been overdying shirting fabrics and some of the greys reminded me of the color of sterling silver, with a slightly purple tint to it and I wondered if I could actually make those plaids and stripes represent the reflective surface of the two pieces. The lemon is there for compositional purposes and because sweet and tart together is even better than just sweet. Here is a closeup:

This is very much the same technique I used for my portrait of the original Maverick. Like Mr. Maverick, this piece works better when viewed from across the room!



I'm not really satisfied with this piece. I had hoped to end this phase of our challenges with something really great and I feel like it is just OK. But, "sweet!" is how I feel about this whole Twelve by Twelve experience. Everything about it from the first challenge, to writing the book, to meeting other "twelves" (I still have three more to meet!), to seeing our work exhibited to the world and right up to today, it has been a truly sweet experience. One I would not trade for anything!

12 comments:

Lisa Flowers Ross said...

I think it is great and the lemon really makes the composition.

Kristin L said...

I really like the contrast between the geometry of the fabric patterns and the abstract background against the traditional curves of the sugar bowl and creamer. The spare color scheme is a bit of a surprise too -- in a good way!

Karen said...

I think your use of plaids to make this is amazing Terry, The colors work well to set the scene and the lemon is a great contrast

Diane Perin said...

Terry, I am dazzled by this -- and in some ways what makes this piece most dazzling is the quiet subtly of it. I love your choice of imagery, for one thing -- the subject matter, the positioning, and that lemon --- all perfect. But the way you have used the stripes is mind-bogglingly wonderful. It DOES convey that soft sheen that old sterling silver pieces have. You've achieved great contrast and a sense of form with this rather limited palette. It's masterful. I just love it and hope you'll end up hanging this in your dining room or somewhere where you will be reminded more often of your grandmother's silver!

Gerrie said...

You are going places with those shirt fabrics. Can't wait to see this in person.

Unknown said...

No you are not the only one. I regard restaurants who provide sugar lumps on yhe table as givin out free desert. My own grandmother used to have a sugar bowl and told us grandkids that if we ate from it we would get worms! It never stopped us :)

Del said...

Elegance with panache! This says "sweet" to me more than any of the others. Strangely it makes me want to say something in French even tho' I don't speak it. How about "tres bon"! Love, Del

Terri Stegmiller said...

I really like this Terry. I'm fascinated by how you've placed the fabrics to portray the dimension and shine of the silver containers. And the lemon in there really adds the perfect little pop of color.

Françoise said...

Beautiful! The spoon reminds me of my grandma, and I love the simple background and the striped shadows.

Renate said...

Terry, this is definitely SUESS!!! and I'm with you on dipping your finger in the sugar bowl. Did it all the time, till my father once replaced it with salt as an April Fool's joke. Good thing I dipped before it ended up in my coffee.
Your use of the fabric to portray the curves and reflections off old silver are masterful. I'd like to see more...

Jenny Bowker said...

I like this one best of all of them - it is beautiful - sparse, spare, limited palette but very compelling design...

Deborah Boschert said...

It's so fun to trace all those lines and explore how you placed all those pieces. Wow. I'm entranced. I also really love the striped shadow. It really adds a bit of weight to each item and keeps them from floating in the composition. I have a lovely creamer and sugar bowl set... they are terribly tarnished. I really should polish them. You've inspired me (and not just to polish the silver)!