Wednesday, December 12, 2012

One Lump or Two



I haven't always been a coffee drinker, but within the last several years I have become one. I don't, however, take mine black. I like it loaded, so to speak....sweetener and half-n-half for me, please.


I have tried many different types of sweeteners in my coffee, the current one being agave nectar. I admit, though, that good old-fashioned sugar is by far my favorite sweetener in coffee.


My quilt is almost entirely hand stitched.  The only machine stitching is the black outlining around some of the elements.


The background of the quilt is made up mainly of neutral fabric scraps. I've recently been adding lots of hand stitching to a few small works and I'm finding the process very satisfying. Plus it gives me something to do when my husband is watching something on TV that doesn't really intrigue me.


The green leaves near the top left represent sugar cane foliage.

9 comments:

Diane Perin said...

Terri!
I am so charmed by this piece! I really like that the subject of it is the most basic "sweet" there is! And I love how you've slightly abstracted the imagery but it has a homey, bright feeling too. It's a great combination of shapes and visual textures. I love those squares on the right -- great balance!

Kristin L said...

The squares with dots in them are my favorite part too. I also like the subtle difference the hand stitching makes from your usual machine quilting. I think you've developed a nice toolbox of methods for your work. :-)

Karen said...

The background of this makes me think of sugar plantations with the leaves rustling in the wind. Very nice Terri.

Del said...

Very elegant and lovely. And an apt interpretation of the theme. I've noticed how much more hand stitching there is in the quilts at QVisions and QNational. And yours is extra nice. Del

Gerrie said...

Love this. I have to have my coffee loaded, too!! The colors in this a wonderful. Seeing that orange on this cold winter day warms my heart.

Brenda said...

This has similar compositional elements to your <a href='http://www.twelveby12.org/chocolate/terri.html"<b>Choco Latte</b></a> piece but is somehow softer (sweeter?) with the hand stitching. Thanks for a great theme to wrap up the 2012 Challenge.

Françoise said...

I was drawn to the five orange squares too. And I love these beautiful leaf shapes in the top left corner.
But I drink my coffee black! ;-)

Terry Grant said...

I love a lot of things about this, including the wonderful sunny color scheme, but what I particularly like is the composition--the way you have the sugar container coming in from outside the frame and also those leaves. It gives me the feeling of looking in on an intimate little moment in someone's day.

Deborah Boschert said...

It's interesting that Brenda mentioned your Chocolate quilt. They do have similar elements, but several differences too. It shows how much your personal style has developed throughout our project. I also love the orange squares -- and how they match the orange circles on the table top. And the bit of lace under the cup!!! I LOVE that!