Wednesday, December 12, 2012

All That Jazz




When Terri announced the sweet theme, I was not very excited until I looked up the definition and found:

pleasing to the ear; making a delicate, pleasant, or agreeable soundmusical. 

 I had a secret hope that she would choose music, continuing in our M theme names. So, in a way, she did.

I went for a jazz interpretation. I wanted to continue the use of batiks and found every thing I needed in my stash, although I had several different trumpets before I settled on this one. It was a bit awkward fitting the instrumentas into the size parameters. Adding the musical notes was so much fun.

I found a hand-dyed quilting thread that was the perfect colorway for this, and I did simple straight quilting lines on the diagonal.

It is simple and sweet and fun to make. Here is a detail.



11 comments:

Karen said...

I love this Gerrie, the colors are all so wild, but they work well together. The musical notes are the perfect touch.

Diane Perin said...

This has such a strong, vibrant energy -- full of excitement and rhythm just as jazz is. Very fun interpretation of this theme, Gerrie!

Kristin L said...

It's so much fun to see such a different interpretation of the theme. It's nice that not only is the music sweet to the ear, but some of the colors you've used are sweet to the eye too.

Unknown said...

When I saw a snippet of this scrolling up the screen I thought: Oh! Someone went african! You kind of did in a way I suppose. A great nonobvious interpretation which pleases me. On screen the notes seem to me to blend a bit with the background but maybe thats screen deception and its fine in real life?

Unknown said...

When I saw a snippet of this scrolling up the screen I thought: Oh! Someone went african! You kind of did in a way I suppose. A great nonobvious interpretation which pleases me. On screen the notes seem to me to blend a bit with the background but maybe thats screen deception and its fine in real life?

Gerrie said...

Helen - it is a bit of a problem and in retrospect, it might have been fun to so the notes in color.

Brenda said...

Gerrie, your last two pieces have a sweey synchronicity. Clearly, Four Fancy(or should that be Funky?) Fish & a Maverick are just taking a break and will be back to their instruments shortly!

Françoise said...

So far, I had never thought of jazz as sweet. But your quilt is really lovely and it may open my mind!

Terri Stegmiller said...

As I started reading your post Gerrie, I did not guess this was your quilt. I'm so happy that you were able to make the connection of music and sweet. Beautiful colors and movement in your quilt.

Terry Grant said...

The colors make me think of a jazz club--dark and smoky and mysterious. The notes drift out of the shadows and bump up against each other.

I think, in this context, you close your eyes and pronounce the word slowly, in a couple of syllables. "Sa-weeeeeeeee-tttt"

Deborah Boschert said...

I really love your keyboard. It adds depth and movement to the piece. I love the notes too. I agree, it might have been fun to see the notes in a different. I would not have thought of music as sweet, but I think your interpretation is just perfect.