Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Sweet Serendipity & Sweet Dreams

Sweet may have lots of meanings but, once I had dismissed doing a sugar cane piece as part of my Grass series, there was only one meaning I could pursue:  Sweets = Lollies [candy].  Simple and sweet.

I have often remarked how threads, fabric swatches and paint chips remind me of boiled lollies. So these were my inspiration:

Aurifil Threads

Kona Cotton Solids Card

I pulled out one of my rainbow sets that I dyed as guest artist this year and made a start in my Dreamlines mode:
I was searching for some lighter value pinks when I made a serendipitous discovery - some pink lozenge units culled from a previous project.

 
I played around with some designs in Electric Quilt but favoured the more abstract composition sitting on my design wall:

And so, today at 12:12am on 12/12/12 California time (7.12pm Copacabana time), I present you Sweet Dreams:
Sweet Dreams by Brenda Gael Smith
In making this piece, I had in mind raspberry drop boiled lollies but this is the closest lolly image I could find online.  Then, after I wrote my Sweet Memories post, I found this photo of Pink Pez by Purr_fer_Meow:
 Raspberry Drops or Pink Pez - take your pick!  I look forward to seeing the other sweet creations when I wake up tomorrow morning. Sweet dreams!

9 comments:

Lisa Flowers Ross said...

I love the abstract interpretation of the theme and the more organic shapes (as opposed to the EQ examples).

Kristin L said...

As an American I see pink Pez in your composition. Sweet indeed!

Karen said...

Pink Pez for sure. What a great design this is Brenda.

Diane Perin said...

Yep, Brenda, I'm in the pink pez camp too. And I agree with you that the energy of these slightly wonky rectangles and placement works better than the more static EQ examples. This has a fun, happy feeling -- like candy on a summer day! This is a delightful response to the theme, and it's always fun to see how you work with pieced shapes so effectively.

Gerrie said...

I like how the pinks change in tone. And that chartreuse background? - that is sweet to me!

Françoise said...

I see pink Pez too. Very sweet. Very happy.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Love this design Brenda. It sort of reminds me of chain from a necklace, and then from there I remember the candy necklaces you could buy and eat while you wear them. Although those had round candy shapes on them.

Terry Grant said...

I didn't see either raspberry drops or pink pez. I had a flashback to 1967!

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumblarge_708/1345563616Lh5ViD.jpg

But that's OK. 1967 design was SWEET!

Deborah Boschert said...

That color combination is so gutsy! It totally works. I continue to be completely in love with your amazing ability to combine graceful curves with straight lines. I love your title too. It makes me think of the line from The Night Before Christmas: "visions of sugar plums danced in their heads."