After the frustration of my last two posts here and here, I am happy to report that the sun came out -- both literally and figuratively.
The sun appeared and I was able to burn another EZ Screen (interesting product, but a bit finicky regarding exposure times). It's not perfect, but was sufficient for what I wanted to do. I also brought out my new orange Inkodye and Inkodye resist, which I am happy to say I like. It's fun to watch the color develop in the sun. Next time I want to do some fabric painting I think I will be willing to invest in more colors. I also fell back on my old standby Setacolor Transparent. I'm close to stating that these are all I need in my surface design toolbox.
Anyway, I did some "serendipitous screen printing" from the 10th anniversary issue of Quilting Arts magazine, and painted some orange-crate-inspired graphics with the help of freezer paper stencils, my EZ Screens, and some net clementine bags. None of the pieces are finished in and of themselves, but that's OK since I've wanted to layer some elements from the beginning. Now I'm off to the comfort of my sewing machine, scissors and commercial fabrics to really pull all these pieces together!
We are twelve quilt artists who embarked on an art challenge together. We're from different places throughout the world and our artistic styles vary, but we share a love of art quilting and a desire to play, experiment, learn, and grow.
For four years (2007-2011), we each made a 12x12 inch quilted art piece on a designated theme or palette. See our Theme Series and our Colorplay series.
For the 2012 Series, we changed things a bit and made rectangular pieces, 20x12 inches with roughly 10 weeks between each challenge. As before, we had a designated theme for each challenge.
We shared our process, progress, and results on this blog. It remains a key record of our rich collaboration.