This may be the most expensive piece that I have made for our challenges. I kept breaking felting needles, both hand and machine; I bought backing fabric that I never used. I bought lots of fabrics for the collage and used only bits and pieces. I also got a little spendy with the beads!!
I finished this late and I am not happy with the photo so will probably redo that. I felted two 12 inch squares, one with a saffron yellow prefelt base and one with a paprika base. When I had done some felting of large pieces of chiffon and roving, I cut each of them into 4 1/2 inch squares and then felted additional design elements on each square.
I then added perle cotton stitching and beads and trimmed them to under 4 inches. As many of my pieces for previous challenges show, I have a fascination with the grid. I love each of these little squares as little piece of art. My first thought was to attach them to a canvas background, but it looked heavy. I had a piece of reddish organza which I doubled and used it as the base. I was rushed tonight and I think I may not have done the best placement on the grid.
I loved working with these colors - in fact, I wear a lot of these colors. I had to throw in some chartreuse for a little pop. There are more process photos on my blog.
1 day ago