Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Making Gray

I have killed two birds with one stone, proverbially speaking.  For a City & Guilds exercise, I had to experiment with "paint pounding," where you scrunch up fabric, pound acrylic paint into it and then let it dry all scrunched up.  With "gray" just around the corner, I used that with pink mixed in for my experiment.

I used Dynaflow paint since I had that handy, and sort of mashed it on wet scrunched fabric so it looked like this.


You move it, wet and scrunched, into a plastic bag and try to keep it wet for a day or two so the paint has time to settle into the scrunches.  Then you take it out, let it dry still scrunched, and press.  And voila!


Actually this lower one is from the pinker scrunch pile above:

3 comments:

MarveLes Art Studios said...

I'm not usually a fan of gray, but that is really COOL! Love it!

Pat said...

I have dyna flow, but I haven,t had the courage to use it. I am working on a landscape and want to use it for water, and sky. I do have PDF fabric. Yours came out nice.

Kristin L said...

That is an interesting process. i've heard of pounding flowers and leaves onto fabric or paper, but not pigment.