I began preparing for the spice challenge by painting some fabrics. I painted two fat quarters and neither were particularly interesting, but I thought I could slice out a chunk and combine it with other fabrics for an interesting composition. That's where I began. The painted piece is the large orange/yellow rectangle just off center.
In my notes for this challenge, I wrote about wanting to create something more spare and simple than my recent work. Also, I wanted to avoid familiar shapes. (No houses or leaves.)
This led to gathering a pile of fabric and stacking, composing, experimenting and editing. I am really pleased with these fabrics. There are only seven pieces and they include commercial prints, a batik, a home dec sample, a tiny bit of felt, and hand painted and stamped fabrics.
As my basic composition took shape, I knew I would add lots of detail with hand embroidery and
embellishments. (Ignoring my earlier idea about spareness and simplicity.) I was delighted to find a small bit of metal that I made in a Dallas Area Fiber Artists workshop a few years ago. I think it adds a great bit of focus, but doesn't take away from the other details.
Painting Jerusalem doors
2 days ago