Monday, June 20, 2011

Not Quite Gray

This was so close.  I had a piece of black fabric in Dorothy Caldwell's class that discharged to white if you left the bleach on long enough.  Very cool, I thought, if I leave it on a litttle less time, it will be gray.


When I finished bleaching this, it reminded me of Monument Valley, so I just added a few lines of stitching to bring in the color of some of the rocks there.  I put it on the wall to photograph it, and now matter how much I tried to convince myself, it's not gray. It's tan, beige, coffee, khaki, but not gray.  So now I'm channeling my inner Dorothy again, and thinking of another class project to try out.

7 comments:

Gerrie said...

It looks rather gray to me!! But, I know what you mean, I have a piece of organza shibori that sometimes is not reading gray.

What Comes Next? said...

oh but what lovely texture! and I have to say, it looks grey on my monitor, too!

Brenda said...

Grey definitely has chameleon qualities. I think I have found a grey but then it turns out to be blue, green, purple or brown!

Kristin L said...

Grey or not, it's still pretty cool.

Diane Perin said...

I've been thinking that maybe that's the tricky thing about grey -- just when you think you find a good true grey, in another light it shows undertones of blue or green or pink. Sort of like trying to dye a good deep black. It's like we're learning the many faces of grey!

Karen said...

I know what you mean Diane and Brenda, the piece I'm working on now has a bluish tint to it. Sigh...

LuAnn Kessi said...

It looks very much gray on my computer monitor.
I really enjoyed viewing it....

LuAnn in Oregon
luannkessi.blogspot.com