This is a technique that I first used for some exhibition quilts nearly ten years ago. Why oh why, when I enjoyed making those quilts so much, did I wait so very long before using it again? Heaven only knows! But I did have fun making this quilt. And now I would like to dedicate some time to making more quilts this way. The first quilts that I made were from fabrics that I really didn't like. Ugly dogs of fabrics that I cut into one inch-ish strips. The strips are then sewn string-quilt style directly onto batting. The resulting fabric is cut into pieces, rearranged and the pieces zig-zagged together. I very deliberately don't trim any threads or neaten anything at all - the mess and tangles all add something to the finished quilt. I was surprised to see awful fabrics changed into quilts that I actually really liked! The fabrics for this quilt were more selectively chosen and I tried very hard to keep to the palette - not an easy task because...
...this is not a palette that naturally excites me, I will admit. I'm not a big fan of spice colours alone, however, I do enjoy them very much when they sit beside jacaranda blues, wisteria and lavenders. At first my plan for this quilt included little fragments of those colours scattered throughout. However, once I had pieced the spice fabrics together, there was no need to add more blue/purple - the Kaffe Fassett fabrics that I had used already have just the right amount of those colours in them. I think more blue/purple would have been superfluous and possibly distracting.
I still can't quite believe how much I enjoyed making this one (having left it until the Eleventh Hour, as usual!)!
1 day ago