This challenge had me stumped. I spent a lot of time thinking about the colors -- thinking in the car, thinking at dance class, thinking while walking the dog -- but I just can't seem to design in my head. I have to use my hands to experiment and play. The kids and dog didn't leave me a lot of time to play. Crazy me thought I would have more time for myself as they got older. I'm learning the hard way that's not the case. I did sneak an afternoon on the computer researching imagery, but didn't come up with much. Next stop on the search was the sewing machine. I went to work free motion quilting and came up with the rough paisley pattern. I thought maybe I would bead and embellish it, but didn't have a real plan in mind. Over the course of 5 days I managed to find the hour needed to quilt the background. Another day's work consisted of pulling out all my spicy paints and setting up my painting station. I snuck in some time for painting in between dropping off the kids at school, walking the dog and heading back to school to pick up my youngest from half day kindergarten. I did have to sacrifice a shower that morning to fit it all in. And then the painted quilt sat there, and sat there, all weekend. I tried laying out some beads, but it lacked a focal point. In desperation yesterday, I went back to the dresses I was playing with for Mother's Day cards a month ago (and relied on Wii Lego Star Wars to babysit). The yellow fabric paper matched the colors of asafoetida and cumin so perfectly I had to use it. I added a little embellishment and there we go. The dress faded into the background a touch, so I added some cumin colored pearlescent power around the edges to create more contrast. I think I need to feather it out a little more now that I see it on the computer screen. Maybe I will sneak that in, maybe I wont.
In the end, I'm really happy with how this one turned out and amazed that I managed to pull it off at the last minute.
We are twelve quilt artists who embarked on an art challenge together. We're from different places throughout the world and our artistic styles vary, but we share a love of art quilting and a desire to play, experiment, learn, and grow.
For four years (2007-2011), we each made a 12x12 inch quilted art piece on a designated theme or palette. See our Theme Series and our Colorplay series.
For the 2012 Series, we changed things a bit and made rectangular pieces, 20x12 inches with roughly 10 weeks between each challenge. As before, we had a designated theme for each challenge.
We shared our process, progress, and results on this blog. It remains a key record of our rich collaboration.