This is the first quilt I made for this color play challenge. When I set out to create this quilt I had Terry's fusing method in mind to try out. I had read about her method a long time ago and had always wanted to try it. I had Liquid Thread on hand....well, at least I thought I did. I was doomed from the start. My bottle of Liquid Thread was old enough to have gone and dried out. I guess maybe it had an air leak.
So I did the next best thing and used Mistyfuse instead. Since I've worked with Mistyfuse a lot it was easy and quick to create as I had no learning curve with working with a new product.
I first tried creating my leaf designs with a black fabric behind the main fabrics, but the results were so dark there was no definition of the shapes. So I then tried the light colored background. I liked that much better.
When the quilt was first finished I didn't like it. I had chosen a lighter valued purple hand dyed fabric for the three leaves to sit on and that wasn't doing what I thought it would when I had auditioned it. But it was already there and attached. So I contemplated what I could do for a few days.
While I was in contemplation mode on the quilt above, I decided to try another quilt of a totally different design. Last year I had purchased a book by a Japanese quilt artist that I admire. Keiko Goke is a quilter that uses lots of color and design in her quilts and I find her work inspiring and playful. While her book is written in Japanese, there are a few instructions with diagrams of how she created some of her quilts. One of those quilts was ring shapes that were split into sections. I wanted to give it a try.
And so I created Eggplant Rings.
Because I like using so many fabrics to represent one color family I decided to create a new piece of fabric using the many I had in front of me and so I cut and sewed in a liberated fashion. After I had pieces of fabric large enough for my pattern pieces, I cut them to shape and size. I decided to fuse the ring shapes to the background fabric. These ring pieces had so many seams in them already that I didn't want to try and piece curves in a traditional manner.
When I had finished putting the quilt top together, I decided to quilt the rings heavily with a pastel thread so they would show off a bit. Well they didn't show off enough for me and there just wasn't enough contrast for my eye. So I pulled out my Shiva Paint Stiks and started rubbing a white Paint Stik over the ring shapes.
I like how the Paint Stik rubbing brought up the seam lines from the background fabrics.
In the meantime I had gone back to the first quilt and added some textile paint and Paint Stik coloring to the background area and the more I look at it the more I find it has grown on me.
And those are the two quilts I made for this challenge and it was definitely a challenge for me this round. I have chosen to officially submit The Three Leaves of Eggplant for this color play challenge, but really, if everyone claimed the other quilt the better choice, I'd gladly let it be the winner.
Our new self-published book is now available on Amazon
About Twelve by Twelve
We are twelve quilt artists who embarked on an art challenge together. We're from different places throughout the world and our artistic styles vary, but we share a love of art quilting and a desire to play, experiment, learn, and grow.
For four years (2007-2011), we each made a 12x12 inch quilted art piece on a designated theme or palette. See our Theme Series and our Colorplay series.
For the 2012 Series, we changed things a bit and made rectangular pieces, 20x12 inches with roughly 10 weeks between each challenge. As before, we had a designated theme for each challenge.
We shared our process, progress, and results on this blog. It remains a key record of our rich collaboration.