I have a feeling when people start reading this blog, they will have no idea who's it is. Let me tell you it took five tries to finally come up with a design I liked. I'm keeping the other four to myself as they are really awful.
I was rooting around first in my own hand dyed fabric, but nothing really spoke to me, so I moved on to needlefelting various silk waste and yarns I had, then cutting them up again, but the design wasn't good. I then pulled out some commercial fabrics, mainly batiks, and started fooling around with circles and curved lines, like the piece above. Something about the prints on the fabric made me unhappy so I sulked for a few weeks, then decided I really needed to come up with a design I liked, and try to make the fabrics work with it. I sketched out a few versions of the design above, and realized I wanted to use solids, to highlight just the design, not the fabric. Several years ago in Houston, there was a fabric booth that sold these beautiful handdyes and I bought lots, probably 75 fat quarters, that I have never used. It was perfect for this. I don't have a name for this, other than Line Study, which I think sums up what this challange was about for me.
Weekly Art Project: Midpoint Review
2 hours ago