This was a tricky palette for me - not a preferred colour scheme at all! But, as usual, with the passage of a little time and the constant mulling that happens inside the head of a Twelve, a plan presented itself.
Although I didn't plan to follow the source of this colour palette so closely, as a New Zealander (and a North Islander at that) I have a sense of connection to volcanoes and I was immediately able to relate the darkest colour to the volcanic scoria rock that is seen in so many New Zealand gardens. The little fern in Kristin's photos wasn't so familiar but there are plenty of other ferns in NZ...
My thoughts were very much about direction - the powerful vertical thrust of the eruptions and the gentle horizontal growth of the ferns.So the quilt has two distinct parts - the Volcano side which is expressed vertically, and the Fern part which sits more quietly to the side and has short horizontals. I pulled a great pile of fabrics from my collection and was ironing them and choosing colours when I realised that the gradated Nancy Crow print was all I needed for the Volcano background. I subscribe to the principle of twenty greens being better than one green, so this is a small departure for me from my usual fabric selection process. It's also as close as I will ever come to bargello. At first I planned lots of small handstitched sparks of bright orange but they would have been superfluous. Instead there are a few couched lines of hand-dyed perle cotton and, on the fern side, a few lines of couched polymide knitting yarn in that fabulous mucus green.
Now that this quilt is done, you know, I actually like it!
We are twelve quilt artists who embarked on an art challenge together. We're from different places throughout the world and our artistic styles vary, but we share a love of art quilting and a desire to play, experiment, learn, and grow.
For four years (2007-2011), we each made a 12x12 inch quilted art piece on a designated theme or palette. See our Theme Series and our Colorplay series.
For the 2012 Series, we changed things a bit and made rectangular pieces, 20x12 inches with roughly 10 weeks between each challenge. As before, we had a designated theme for each challenge.
We shared our process, progress, and results on this blog. It remains a key record of our rich collaboration.