For a fleeting moment, I considered merging the two images to make kind of a kiwi companion piece to Terry's Mt Hood in Winter but I wasn't sure how I would deal with the designated palette which, after all, is central to the challenge.
Instead, I decided to focus on the flax flowers which incorporated most of the palette. I stripped out the blue background in Photoshop and manipulated the image to create two sprays and then tried a variety of commercial products and printing methods to create a viable photo transfer. I lost count of the duds I made along the way. Eventually, I decided to try the Citrasolv method and refreshed my hazy understanding of the technique by reading the tutorial on Lisa's blog - Something About Nothing. Magic - it worked! I printed out the colour photos on my laser printer onto white fabric and then painted on a sulphur-coloured chartreuse background before quilting:
fiery shibori and you see the results above.
I also made a shibori magma piece but have not had a chance to complete the hand-stitching (I don't what I've been doing lately!) and it is not especially photogenic.