Saturday, May 1, 2010

Lava Flowers


This color scheme was somewhat of a struggle for me, for some reason. I took just about the full two months to contemplate this palette. Because Kristin associated the color palette with a volcano, I landed on an idea.

My quilt is a scene from my imagination. It's my own little fantasy world. The flowers are Lava Flowers, Rufus ignis. The red petals mimic oozing lava as it slowly rolls down the hill. The orange stamen mimic spewing hot stuff coming from the top of the volcano. I outline stitched the flowers and flower parts with black thread.

The ground that the flowers grow from is cooled lava. Imagine a flower growing right out of lava.....perhaps it really happens...I don't know as I don't live near a volcano. The ground is made from two shades of gray fabrics. The background in the upper portion is the chartreuse color from Kristin's color palette. I used many different fabrics and created this section in a mosaic collage technique.

6 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love this Terri! you have a fabulous imagination. The color interpretation is fantastic.

Terry Grant said...

So clever! And I love, love, love that green sky! You may be interested to know that the part of Idaho I come from is a vast lava bed and the soil created by the lava is some of the richest on earth. Perfect for growing potatoes! And I have seen flowers growing right out of the volcanic rock.

Diane Perin said...

What a wonderful piece, Terri -- I love the whimsy in this. That green sky against the red flowers gives this such a happy energy. And, as always, your use of printed fabrics is just wonderful.

Kristin L said...

Terri, you've captured the colors wonderfully and I love your choice of fabrics for the cooled lava -- it really looks just like that! Your whimsical flowers are so fun that I wish they were real!

Karen said...

The stitchig on your quilts is so great Terri, and this piece is no exception, and I love the green sky

Deborah Boschert said...

You really did create something out of your imagination. For a second I wondered if the flower was real, so I googled it and this blog post popped up at the top of the list. How did you come up with that Latin-ish name?! So clever. The quilting in the sky is great. I love that gray in the foreground. Did you overdye a commercial print?