Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mango

When a new 12x12 theme is announced, I usually ponder the new color palette for quite some time. I just take note of what draws my attention -- if it's a particular composition, technique or material. I try to notice the colors from the palette in my every day life. So when there was a huge bin of mangoes at my grocery store, I was stunned to find all of Kristin's colors in the fruit.
I decided to make my quilt all about the mango and the colors.I actually painted this mango. I was inspired by the class I recently took from Judy Perez. She gave me a bit more confidence with paint and painting techniques. I think it turned out pretty well.
I tried to keep it simple this time around. Just fabric, a bit of surface design, simple embellishments.I didn't use anything that wasn't in the color scheme. (Well, that chunky glass bead is more emerald, than chartreuse. Forgive me.)

This is an unusual group of colors, but I really like it. Working on this project reminded me that if a color scheme appears in nature -- on the skin of a mango or on an island in Hawaii -- it has built-in beauty.

7 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Love your mango! I am in awe at how differently all the quilts look because of differing quantities of certain colors.

Gerrie said...

I loved this when I saw it early on Google Reader last night. I have a love affair with mangoes and this did not disappoint. You have stayed true to the Deborah style and I love, love seeing your work in a new color way.

Diane Perin said...

Oh, Deborah, I'm always so impressed at how your pieces are so uniquely you -- and I mean that in the best of ways. You have truly found a style that is immediately appealing, with strong color and composition and those wonderful details in embellishment that feel just perfect. I could look at this all day. I love the button seeds sprouting!

Terry Grant said...

I can almost taste that mango. This is so far out of your normal color palette, yet it comes across as absolutely your work! I bought three mangos last week at TJ's that looked just like that and tasted divine. My mouth is watering!

Karen said...

Mango is my favorite fruit, so of course I love this quilt. Your composition is, as usual, wonderful

Kristin L said...

I'm so glad that someone took teh colors and tried them outside of the volcano context. You've done a great job -- it's the palette exactly, and it easily reads as mango. It's like an ode to the mango in Hawaii. :-) I love the sprouting buttons too! Wonderful!

Lucy said...

I totally am into the embroidery with the buttons. That pops out so nicely!