Saturday, May 1, 2010

Underground


This was a very challenging color palette for me, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it.  It reminded me of why these are called "challenges!"  Like most of you, I looked at a lot of pictures of volcanoes and of Hawaii in general, seeking inspiration.  But I didn't come across anything that lit the spark, if you know what I mean.

Eventually, I found myself thinking of volcanoes (how could I not, with what has been going on in the news over the past month) and thinking about what is going on underground before a volcano pushes up out of the earth and erupts.  Well, I didn't go do research, or anything --but I found myself remembering how I'd been interested in the cut-away views of things when I was in school, and that formed the seed for this.

My challenge to myself in these Colorplay challenges is to head toward the abstract.  Playing with batiks and the underground layers idea led to this.  In some ways, I'm somewhat embarrassed about presenting it here: it's so simple.  In fact, I tried adding hand stitching, which I ripped out because I didn't like it and it just didn't suit.  I considered other embellishments -- but really, what I like about this is how it emphasizes the patterns of the fabrics.  So, simple as it is, this is my response to the challenge.

And, once again, I'm photographing black and bright colors so the stitching detail doesn't show much.  Here's a detail shot to show the quilting: 


Thanks, Kristin, for this challenging challenge!

***Now that I've posted this, I've gone and looked at the other challenge pieces -- and I'm amazed at how many of us went for linear designs.  I think this may be our most similar bunch of pieces yet, and that is quite unexpected to me.

9 comments:

Gerrie said...

Hee! Great minds think alike. I worried that mine was too simple. But when you look at abstract art, it does often seem too simple, but in reality it is not. There is a lot to think about. I love the shapes of your pieces-how they look as if they are about to burst up out of the surface. Good job.

Terry Grant said...

Diane, we have done it again! My concept was also what is going on underground, thus the horizontal stripes. I love how yours seems to "bulge" upward. You just know that serene green mountainside has a big surprise lurking under it! It is simple, but has a lot of great tension and subtle movement. Your fabric choices are perfect!

Cate Rose said...

I love the simplicity of this piece, Diane. And the color lines of varying widths. It really works for me.

Kristin L said...

You've nailed the abstract on this one! It reads perfectly (like Terry said, there's that green mountaintop and then the growing magma beneath). I don't think there's anything wrong with simple if it's what the message calls for. I love it!

Karen said...

I like the simplicity of this piece Diane, it shows the uneven layers of what's beneath the surface and how its moving towards the top. Your stitching is great.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Oh wonderful!!! I love these layers and I feel like I'm looking at the side of the mountain with half of it cut away. Great idea!

Unknown said...

Not so much simple as graphic! Learning when to stop is as important as learning how to do more.

Deborah Boschert said...

Creating something so strong and yet simple... IS NOT SIMPLE! Lovely fabric choices. You've got great taste. I love the colors... even though Kristin set the palette, you put it together in a really beautiful way.

Quilt or Dye said...

Very nice!