Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hot, Hot, Hot



I loved the color palette for this challenge. I decided to use hand-dyed silk for this because I had the reddish orange fabric that was perfect. I had the chartreuse shibori in my stash, also. The other fabrics were dyed or painted. I could never quite get the gray and taupe, from the color palette that Kristin gave us, with dye. I ended up painting the fabric and had much more control. My inspiration was the way lava flows down the volcano in undulating fashion.



While I was making this, the volcano in Iceland was spouting off. I saw many photos of red hot lava leaping into the air with sparks flying. I decided to make a second piece which I call Red Hot Lava. I used red and orange beads to represent the sparks.




Now, I need help deciding which piece will go into the Twelve X Twelve collection.

8 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Both are just lovely, Gerrie! I think I like the undulating one best. Plus, I think it's so interesting to compare it with Terry's piece! Those silks just glow.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Both quilts are great and I really love all the stitched texture. I think both would be great in the official Twelve collection, but I do think I am leaning toward the second quilt shown.

Karen said...

I agree I like the second one better, the beads and stitching are really great, they look like fire jumping around.

Diane Perin said...

Both very striking pieces, Gerrie. The first "lava flow" one is such a nice study of smooth lines contrasted with the energy of those colors -- that really works beautifully for me. The energy of the flamey one is quite strong, too. Oh, and I love seeing the shibori bits -- those subtle lines are beautiful!

Terry Grant said...

I really love the impression of dancing sparks and spits of lava in that second piece! Both are beautiful, but I, too, am leaning toward the second.

Gerrie said...

FYI - I just realized that in my stupor last night, I photographed my piece upside down. I have turned it right side up.

Kristin L said...

I like the undulating one better. I think it's the subtlety I respond to. However, there's no denying that the second one is fire and sparks! The silks in both are wonderfully luminous.

cj said...

Both are lovely and I like the 2nd one better-more pizazz!