In my blog on Dec. 17th I mentioned the foolishness of trying to fit our theme Metamorphosis to my own work, mainly body images. Well, I've managed to do just that, and was so excited about it, I made four more. As you can see, that was easy to do since I chose images of the hand to work on. I was able to tie it into metamorphosis by referencing opposable thumbs and evolution, but really I was just looking for an excuse to continue my personal series.
I had access to an MRI of the hand with hundreds of images to choose from, so I isolated five that I wanted to work with. I started with five pieces of white fabric cut to the size I needed, and put them on my design wall next to each other so I could work on them all at the same time. I ended up finishing up the first one while partway through the second, and starting on the third, but couldn't work on all five at once, it was too distracting. These are all hand stitched, except for a few remnants from other projects that have some machine stitching on them.
The images below are images I worked with for this, reversed from black/white to white/black
Not knowing what the rest of our themes will be, I'm not sure if I can continue to relate them to body images, but I at least hope to continue with series work