Okay, time for the big confession -- somehow I had it in my mind the quilt was suppose to be a landscape orientation instead of portrait and just realized this morning that I was wrong. I'm not sure where I got that idea. It must have been the fact that I was so busy last November when we were setting this challenge that I didn't read the details carefully. I have had it wrong in my head for the last three months. I guess I just couldn't be trusted to switch from a square to rectangle. So here is my quilt, turned on its side. This quilt really wanted to be vertical, but I forced it to be horizontal. So, just imagine the quilt with the color coming from the top downward.
I struggled a bit with the whole idea of Metamorphosis. I was trying to capture all of it in my head and I couldn't come up with a concept. I thought about a quilt showing the stages of a frog from tadpole to adult. I thought about the work of M.C. Escher and perhaps showing one shape changing into another. I then realized I was trying to show to much. I didn't need a wide angle, but could focus upon one little detail. I decided to focus just upon the moment of emergence--the moment the butterfly comes out of the cocoon.
This quilt is the result of a bit of trial and error and I now see there will be least another trial. I'm sure working in a sketchbook would have been beneficial, but I skipped that step and went straight to fabric. My first thought was color emerging from darkness in the center. Instead it just looked like some strange hump projecting from the side of the quilt. After taking a break from it, I realized it needed to be the cocoon breaking open and the color coming out. I set the first quilt aside and started on this one. I quilted the background with gold spirals and painted it with a rainbow of colors. I then added the black and gray fabric around the edges. At first I had the color emerging upwards, but it just didn't look right. I double checked some photos on google and realized that cocoons hang upside down and the butterfly emerges from the bottom. I simply flipped the quilt around and kept going. I hand stitched the gray fabric with embroidery floss and wrapped the edges around the back. Hand sewing through the densely quilted, painted fabric was a bit of a challenge--my fingers still look a little rough from the process. I added the circle beads and finished the colored edge with seed beads.
I now see this quilt becoming a series as I finish the first I started and remake this quit the way it should have been!