Sunday, March 7, 2010
I gave a workshop to my local quilt guild on marbling fabric. We had a great time, and I realized that marbling might be an appropriate technique for my volcano/lava theme! Back at home I tried my hand at lava colored patterns. I love the designs I achieved, but want the color to be a bit deeper and more saturated. I probably should have started with colored fabric instead of bright white, so I am going to work a bit backwards and try dyeing these this week with some fiber reactive dyes. My hope is that the fabric paints on top of the fibers that I did the marbling with will not be affected much and the fiber reactive dyes will seep in underneath to create a richer base. We'll see. It's all part of the experimentation and the search for the right medium for the message.