Monday, February 11, 2008

zeroing in

After my last post I wondered why a granfalloon was a "false community" and what makes a real community. A group of people is not necessarily a community. In my mind they become a community when they begin to form connections with one another. That, I think, is what my piece will be about. Connections between people that begin to weave them together into a community. Then I began to see little face icons that could represent the sameness/differentness that I think Diane was talking about, and use them in a pattern that connects them in a variety of ways.

I think I need a lot of faces that are all very similar, but no two exactly alike. I started sketching the ones you see above. So far I am liking the simplicity of them and may simplify them even further. It occurred to me that what I probably ought to do at this point is trace them into Illustrator where I can start interchanging features to get the variety I need.

4 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

I really like how some appear to actually be looking at each other with a sideways glance. I think when people really make eye contact it can show a connection. I love this idea.

Diane Perin said...

I really like the little faces, Terry. And I wonder if granfalloon is a "false community" because it's circumstantial -- made up of the clump of people who happen to be thrown together by events or geography? And I think you're right, that a real community is about connections. This really is an intriguing theme.

Diane Perin said...

I really like the little faces, Terry. And I wonder if granfalloon is a "false community" because it's circumstantial -- made up of the clump of people who happen to be thrown together by events or geography? And I think you're right, that a real community is about connections. This really is an intriguing theme.

Gerrie said...

I love your faces. I always love your faces. Yep, connection si what community is all about.