Thursday, July 28, 2011

Orange and blue

I have been buying fat quarters. Especially orange. But along with the orange I can't seem to resist these lovely deep blues. I know—complementary colors, though my feeling about complementary colors in general is that there is nothing really that special about those combinations. My orientation toward color theory has always been in knowing how to mix paint colors to get what you want and not so much a guide for combining colors, but I digress.

Interestingly, when I was contemplating what my color challenge to the group would be, my first idea was cobalt blue. Isn't cobalt blue a great color? It looks good with nearly every color and makes other colors look even better when paired with it. But then I decided we had covered blue in a general sense and so I chose orange instead. But I am sure wanting to combine my orange with cobalt blue. Don't be surprised if I do.

Off to the right side you can see a few green fabrics. I think they look pretty great with the blue and orange too. These brights are really working for me right now. I may be working myself into a whole new color palette.

3 comments:

Kristin L said...

I absolutely love cobalt and orange. There's a local painter here who's got a print of a half papaya on a cobalt and white hibiscus print cloth that I've been eyeing.

Françoise said...

Beautiful! And I absolutely love that blue fabric in the foreground.
At the moment, I have lots of orange and some turquoise on my design wall. I need to start sewing soon.

Nikki said...

I'm not typically a fan of orange and bright blue, but I'm really liking the cobalt.