Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Armorica

I started dyeing grey fabric before really knowing what I wanted to do for this challenge. I got a few nice fabric pieces, especially this one that I thought would be perfect, except that it was much larger than 12x12. I thus had to decide which part of the piece I wanted to select for my grey quilt. (It wasn't the easiest part of the process!)
Then I thought it needed a little more contrast and I added a 3 inch band of darker grey on one side.
I machine quilted the whole piece with straight lines, trying to emphasize the movement I could see in the fabric.
Next came embroidery time! I had picked yellow and green threads for this because I wanted to take inspiration from this picture. But after several attempts, I had to admit that I couldn't find a green that would show well on both fabrics. I turned to a variegated red-pink-orange thread that did work much better.
I'm rather pleased with the result. (It looks better and brighter in real life.)
Here's a detail shot of the quilt.
I'm ready for the next challenge! :-)

10 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love the way the stitching plays with the surface of the fabric that you dyed. I also think the binding helps to contain all the motion going on in this piece. I had to look up Armorica!! I get it now. Another lovely piece by you!!

Karen said...

To me this seems like a wonderful abstract interpretation of your inspiration photo Françoise. It must have been hard to cut into that wonderful gray, but you managed to use quite well.

Unknown said...

The movement in this quit is amazing. The machine stitching is really effective. But what does the title mean?

Kristin L said...

I too like the movement in this piece. The binding adds so much to it. I have never heard of Armorica, but now I see it is an area of Ancient France -- perhaps near your home?

Terry Grant said...

Very beautiful! The lighter dyed gray fabric is really lovely and evocative--clouds, water...
The addition of the strip of darker gray was perfec. It is interesting that your quilt and Helen's have a nearly identical break in the background space.

Cate Rose said...

Wow, the stitching really makes this piece!

Diane Perin said...

The feeling of this reminds me of Karen's piece -- a calm grey livened in a subtle but exciting way with those warm colors. I agree, your stitching makes this piece and the movement is great.

dutchcomfort said...

Love to see the movement in the quilt made by the stitching and the two coloured binding, it adds another extra!

Terri Stegmiller said...

I agree with the previous comments in that the stitching adds so much movement. I also like how the colored binding brings out the colors of the embroidery thread.

Deborah Boschert said...

I love the dark gray with the light gray. Even with all the discussion about finding a true gray, you created two that are very different and yet completely in the right family. I also really like the asymmetrical border that complements the stitching.