Monday, February 7, 2011

Water Soluble paper

I have started working on my 12x12 piece -- 3 weeks ahead of the deadline, can you believe it?

Inspired by an episode of Quilting Arts TV (somewhere in the 600 series), I decided to experiment with water soluble paper. But I didn't have water soluble paper -- I had a lightweight water soluble stabilizer, and decided to give that a try.  So, I chose an image, and printed it on the stabilizer with my inket printer.

I've stitched through the stabilizer to put the stitching lines onto my quilt base.  And just now I dunked the whole thing in the sink to dissolve the stabilizer, and it's sitting outside in the sunshine (sorry, folks, but it IS sunny here in California) to dry.

I'm not sure about this.  It looks like some of the ink marks from printing on the stablizer transferred slight smudge marks on the fabric when it dissolved.  Not good.

But we'll see how it goes.


Terri Stegmiller said...

I've finished my next 12x12 quilt. Yay!!! Please don't be mad... :(

Kristin L said...

I've got no answers for your smudge problem, but i do applaud your trying new techniques and materials. :-)