Monday, November 1, 2010

Terra Incognita

Terra Incognita, the unknown land. My wonderful husband helped me with the name of this quilt because I really didn't know what to say about it. As I look at it nothing comes to me. Therefore, I thought the name fit perfectly. It is a land I don't know. This color scheme proved to be a real challenge for me. I admit it, despite talk about orange growing on me, I really don't like rusty orange. If forced to pick, I'd rather be surrounded by pepto pink. I'm never going to be an earth tone girl. There it's out. I accept it.

To make the quilt, I once again quilted and painted fabric. I then sewed the strips together in a log cabin pattern with copper thread and arranged the blocks in a diamond pattern. The edges are finished with copper tape.

10 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love the wonderful texture you get on your fabrics with the painting and quilting. The copper tape is a nice finish

Diane Perin said...

Nikki, I struggled, like you, with these colors. But gosh -- the struggle doesn't show in this piece. You've achieved gorgeous color and texture and the copper adds a lovely detail. So despite your discomfort, this seems like a very successful result to me.

Melissa said...

I'll just post on this comment, but it's for your entire group.

I love this colour way that you've chosen and I LOVE all of your pieces. I've recently tried rust dying some fabrci and now I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do with it. Thank you all so much for your inspiring work!

Terry Grant said...

Nicki, I love orange, as you probably know, so I see this piece as warm and very inviting, and as Diane said, shows no signs of struggle! The wonderful textures and color modulation give it a very organic feel. You may be more of an earth girl than you realize!

Elizabeth said...

Nikki I love this piece and I am not one to love the more traditional pieced quilts!! the painting after quilting gave you wonderful texture. using the copper thread and copper tape was brilliant!!!!

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is such a Nikki piece, and another wonderful piece at that. I love how you use the copper tape around the edges. Your quilted and painted fabrics turned out great.

Kristin L said...

If ever there was a time and place for copper thread and tape, this is it! I think you embraced the challenge and despite your issues with the colors, have created a beautiful, interesting, piece.

Karen said...

The copper thread and tape make this piece really interesting Nikki, and the colors are eautiful. it's amazing to me how many rusts and blues there are.

kirsten said...

Not an earth tone girl, hey? I'm hearin' ya, sister, (I'm more of a Hysterical Circus tone person myself) but you have won this little battle! I love the way the fabrics look like satin. Even when i looked closely knowing that they aren't, they STILL look like satin!

Unknown said...

Its shimmers on my screen - does it do that in real life? And I have never seen that kind of sqiffy ( in a good way) arrangement of log cabin. Very original.