Friday, August 1, 2008

Japanese Lanterns

Oh yeah, we're unlocked! It has been a long day of moving and no access to the computer so it was so exciting to see all the pieces that have been posted. And WHAT A SURPRISE to see Diane's lanterns! I could hardly believe my eyes! We were tuned into the same wavelength, for sure.


There are so many meanings for the word "illumination"—so many really thoughtful ideas. It was hard to finally get to something that worked for me. Illumination as light was always in my mind and somewhere along this process I saw a photograph in a blog of colorful Japanese lanterns in a garden that spoke to me. But I filed the thought away and later when I went looking for the photo couldn't find it again, so I had to rely on my memory, my impressions and my imagination.

I think light is most striking when it shines out of darkness. It draws us to it and speaks to us at a very basic level. One can imagine early men finding comfort and connection to the sight of a far off campfire. I think of turning onto my street, late at night and seeing my porch light glowing in the darkness. All is well. We are home. Right now, as we prepare to move to a new home it is very much on my mind whether this home will welcome us as the old one has and how it will feel in different lights. I long to sit out among the trees in the darkness, under the stars, and I can imagine glowing paper lanterns lighting our way through the shadows.

P.S. My computer is finally up and running at the new house. I have replaced my photo with a larger one. You should be able to click on it to see the piece in greater detail.

13 comments:

Gerrie said...

There you are! I was so surprised when I saw Diane's lantern's, too. They are both beautiful renditions, but different. I love how you both achieved the glow of the light through paper at night. Your work is beautiful, as always

Françoise said...

Beautiful!
As Gerrie said, I like how the light is glowing through the lanterns. Would love to have a closer look at the red lantern. Can you post a detail?

Anonymous said...

I reviewed many lantern images in researching for this theme and was fascinated by the variety in size, shape an colour. You and Diane have truly captured the glow of lanterns. I like your choice of angular shapes and the light hue to the vegetation in the lower right corner is masterful.

Terri Stegmiller said...

These lanterns are great. The two different shapes create wonderful interest and I love how you show them hanging outdoors within the trees.

Diane Perin said...

Terry! How funny that we were drawn to the same concept, and yet illustrated it so differently. Your use of the leaves and the blue/black background is very nice and quite evocative. The lantern shapes are great, too, and the softness of the yellow light from the lantern works so nicely. I like this VERY much!

Dale Anne Potter said...

FABULOUS and GREAT that two of you had the same vision.
GREAT JOB!!!

Suze said...

Makes me think of having a cup of green tea out on the porch in the early evening...maybe a cool breeze after a hot day - I can almost hear the crickets chirping...your lanterns have a quiet dignity and a calmness about them..well done!

artfilstitch said...

Gives me a real life feeling of being in the temple...so beautiful and makes me happy. Superb job!

Karen said...

Terry,this is so beautiful, calm and inviting. The black in the background really makes the lanterns shine.

kirsten said...

I always seem to be left speechless by your quilts, Terry! Your aesthetic appeals to me on every level - how can I possibly choose something to cooment on??
OK. The glow in the lower right corner. That's a winner, right there. And the choice of the vibrant blue background with the black foliage. I adore the string line the lanterns are suspended from.
Heck, I probably will even adore the backing fabric!

kirsten said...

Betcha didn't know that I can "cooment"!!

Nikki said...

Your lanterns are beautiful. I love how you and Diane had similar ideas, but they are so different. Your quilt gives me the sense of snuggling under a blanket outside and enjoy the pleasures of nature, while Diane's gives me a sense of a party happening underneath.

Thank you Kirsty for pointing out the glow in the lower right. So many details to discover and enjoy. I'm sure I love the backing fabric also.

Kristin L said...

As always, your work has an understated beauty to it. Liek the others, I particularly like the treatment of trees and sky. I love teh subtle patterning of the two lanterns as well -- a Terry trademark. Gorgeous.