Thursday, September 1, 2011

Orange

I know that's not a very orignal title, but it kind of of sums it up, doesn't it.  It took me a while to come up with an idea for this challange, not because of the color, I love orange, but because it's the last in this series, and I was feeling a little nostalgic.


Before Diane asked me to join the group,  I made a series of 12 inch pieces using linen napkins a friend had given me. You can see a picture of them here  http://www.karenrips.com/portfolio/2008/linen_all.html.
I always loved the techniques I used on these and decided to use them again in this piece.  I painted some iron on interfacing, added some cheesecloth and some little strips of blue fabric, then had fun machine stitching everything together.
I have to admit it's a bit of a relief to finish up with the color series.  I've never felt comfortable designing around a color and I still don't, although I do think it's become easier. That's because I realize these are all exercises, not masterpieces, and I've given myself permission to just play around.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I am looking forward to our next adventure together.

12 comments:

Vicki Miller said...

I like your choice of colours in the little blue strips and the cheesecloth overlays really give it depth

donna!ee said...

orange beautiful orange...makes me happy! :)

Terri Stegmiller said...

Oh I love this one Karen! I am so drawn to the blue and turqoise...they just sing on the orange background. Lots of interest in this one.

dutchcomfort said...

I an almost feel the nostalgic mood when looking at this gorgeous orange quilt. That’s what the blue does I guess? Love it!

What Comes Next? said...

I love this - the turquoise with the orange just makes my heart sing, and the combination of textures I see from the quilting just makes me want to reach out and touch this!

Gerrie said...

This deserves a very close-up look and some touching!! I am happy that I get to do that soon. I love the texture of linen napkins

The pop of the blue and greens is wonderful. But my favorite part is the stitching!!

Diane Perin said...

Karen, this feels like the essence of abstract art to me. It seem simple, initially, but the more you look, the more there is to see. All of the layers and shapes and tones work together subtly so it seems like this piece was effortless, but of course it wasn't and that's the skill and art behind it. I'm wowed by this.

I agree that using the color palettes as themes has been harder than I, at least, anticipated. But I hope you don't mind me saying that I've so loved watching your development through this -- I feel like your work is becoming clearer, somehow, or that you're refining your techniques and your messages into gorgeous art. I'm very, very impressed.

Kristin L said...

This has got to be my favorite of all your Colorplay pieces! The contrast of the little blue bits with all that orange, and the simplicity of the design paired will the subtle color modulation, layering, and textures. I think it is interesting that both you and Diane do best when you keep the imagery simple, and yet both your approaches and finished works are so different. This one definitely works for me.

Unknown said...

I have been peering closely at my screen at the texture of this one but I need to see it in person for sure! Is it the cheesecloth that is the kind of blurry effect behind circular quilting. I am not sure I have ever actually seen a piece of cheesecloth so I am intriqued as to the effect. Fo me it is the shimmer effect over the top of the quilt that draws me rather than the blue bits

Françoise said...

There's so much to see in this quilt. The blue-green strips of course, then the lighter orange pieces in the background, the added texture, the quilting, ... Karen, this piece is amazing. I'm with Kristin, I think it's my favourite of your colorplay quilts.

Brenda said...

So rich and striking. The placement of those strata strips and other shapes achieves great balance and the stitching adds texture. It's fun to loop around back to techniques from the past but with more experience and insight.

Terry Grant said...

Karen, this is so beautiful! Those shapes and textures float and blend so beautifully and the strips of blues seem to drift in and out of the mix. The one circular form near the center just gathers all those more rectangular parts toward itself and anchors the composition. I could look at this for a long, long time.