Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hibiscus

Summer is over and we are easing back into our normal routine of school, work and regular day-to-day life. But, I am still full of joyful memories of our family vacation to Hawaii. With that in mind, I couldn't resist using the orange hibiscus as the inspiration for my 12x12 quilt.

As I was walking down the street in Waikiki, I was stunned by the beautiful hibiscus bushes in the street planters. I don't remember seeing any orange ones, actually. So I took some creative license. I was also inspired by other orange flowers all over Hawaii. Several have bright yellow accents and look amazing in and amongst green leaves.

It's reminiscent of my Passion 12x12 piece, don't you think? I cut some pattern pieces after looking at several hibiscus images online and making some of my own sketches. Then I added several of my personal accents and symbols.


I felt like the composition needed some additional detail and layering on the right in the center, so I created a stencil of the silhouette of Diamond Head crater and painted over it in white. It's subtle. Can you see it here?

Here's the image I used. That's Benjamin in the water with his arm out stretched.
My quilt is made of an unabashed collection of memories of our summer vacation. I don't usually make quilts using specific events or memories as inspiration, so this was a wonderful new way expressing my creative spirit.

13 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

Your quilt makes me want to go to Hawaii!! So beautiful!

Vicki Miller said...

There is so much detail beyond the hibiscus. It's not as simple a picture as it first appears. although it is a beautiful one. You obviously love being in hawaii.

donna!ee said...

beautiful beautiful...orange makes me happy! :)

Terri Stegmiller said...

Very beautiful and I did see the stencil area but at first didn't know what it was made from and that it depicted a scenic image. I enjoy wandering around the quilt and seeing all your personal icons and embellishments.

What Comes Next? said...

beautiful! A very Hawaiian quilt, very nicely done.

Karen said...

This is the perfect orange for a hibiscus, very delicate looking. I love the stenciled area

Gerrie said...

Wonderful use of all the Deborah details. The stencil of the volcano is elegant. You know how much I love your hand stitching - used very effectively in this piece.

Diane Perin said...

I'm so impressed at how you've created an image that says "Hawaii" but it's YOURs, with your elements and feel. It's not easy to take an iconic symbol like hibiscus flower (on every other Hawaiian shirt) and make it original. I think it's stunning. The colors and patterns are great. I must admit that I wouldn't have noticed the Diamond Head reference had you not pointed it out but I like that it's there and it adds a layer of complexity that's nice. Beautifully done, Deborah. And what a nice way to memorialize your vacation!

Unknown said...

I looked at the image as it appeared on screen and thought, ah. kristens. hawaii. but then I saw the arc of stitching and thought ( stupidly) oh look how Kristen has been influenced by Deborah. then i looked more..... So the aim of evoking Hawaii certainly worked. Like I just said to Nikki I am in awe of the clarity of your voice ( once I look properly!) . I'd like to know more about how you came to choose the personal symbols as your own.

Kristin L said...

I think it's funny that Helen is mixing us up -- as we all get to know each other and spend time together it makes sense that our art might merge a bit too. Pretty soon Diane will be making politically inspired quilts with barkcloth!

I missed the Diamond Head stencil first time around, but it's fun knowing that it's there. I enjoy having details to bring the viewer back for a closer look. And don;t worry, there are orange hibiscus -- just no so many as yellow and pink ones! I'm going to go look at this and your Passion Flower next to each other -- perhaps this is the start of a vacation bouquet!

Brenda said...

Yes! It does remind me of your passion piece, and your Twelve piece, and your dandelion and your Rusty piece and...well you get the idea. It's remarkable how your personal voice come through and your work is fresh and interesting. Aloha!

Terry Grant said...

This is an amazing piece! The "Deborah" elements are there and you have married them to a really stunning, bold and graphic hibiscus! The lines of that hibiscus are simply beautiful, especially the shape of the lighter markings on the petals that radiate out from the center. The way the hibiscus fills the space is genius, as well. It is wonderful to see how versatile your signature style elements are. Love it.

Françoise said...

Beautiful!
I also wonder, like Helen, how/why you chose those symbols as your own. The printed circles, the little trees, the straight stitches... What special meaning do they have for you?