I really wish we had more time for this challenge. Reveal day snuck up on me and I really wanted more time to play. Our gray, wet days had me uninspired and depressed. Once again, making myself get to work on my Twelve by Twelve quilt help tremendously and the hope that spring will return is renewing.
I really didn't have a plan when starting this quilt. I began with quilting the background and painting. I tried Terry's method of mixing yellow and black to form chartreuse, but I didn't like the results. I prefer a clearer color and mine just turned muddy. No problem, I just added more paint, yellow-green, yellow, gold, citron. I pulled out all my chartreuse embellishments, hoping for inspiration. I had fun coloring anything metal with alcohol inks, but still didn't find direction. I knew I would need to add other colors -- straight chartreuse may be bright, but not very interesting. After much experimenting, I fell in love with the purple, orange, chartreuse combination. My plan of attack was to cover the quilt in orange and purple circles, perhaps add in some of those embellishments. The trouble was that after sewing down all those circles it lacked a focal point. I found the Textiva film in a box of long forgotten materials. It's perfect for the color scheme--all three colors depending on how the light hits it. I didn't have the right color of fabric paper made for the chartreuse circle so I used hand dyed wool felt. And of course, I had to include one of those dyed washers. My final question was how to finish the edges. I like the look of a pillow case finish that so many of the other Twelves use. Didn't work so well with this one. The fabric paper circles along the edges perforated and it was just a mess when I tried to turn it right side out. I cut off the backing fabric and pulled out some ball chain. Into the alcohol ink it went . I carefully machine stitched around each little ball to create the beaded edge.
In the end, I love how this little quilt turned out. I went to my husband for help naming it. His thoughts were about fish eggs and fertilization. It wasn't working for me. Instead I just went with "Play" because that was what this quilt was all about.