I don't know that I've ever been so far ahead at this point in the challenge period. I will chalk it up to having an idea I was eager to work on, and a whole bunch of rainy days including a weekend on which travel plans were cancelled so I was home with two whole "empty" days.
In any event, I've been wanting to make a piece that stemmed from one of my photos as the primary element. And, as luck with have it, I had this photo with a whole lot of chartreuse in it:
I took this in my nextdoor neighbor's backyard last spring when his wisteria was in full bloom. I was playing with my macro lens, I think, and I loved these unfolding leaves on the vine and how wildly fuzzy they are.
I've also been taken with the thread-painting magic of Susan Brubaker Knapp. You might remember the series of lessons she did in Quilting Arts magazine in 2010, and she has two excellent DVDs in which she demonstrates her thread-painting process from start to finish. Perhaps because I am so in love with my Bernina 830, I wanted threadwork to be the main feature of my chartreuse contribution.
So, I started with fusing large shapes to a background, like this:
I pulled out every color of green thread I had, plus some blue and red and brown and yellow ... and away I went.
It's not done yet. But I sure am having fun and I'm discovering that deciding when to stop adding thread is harder than you'd think.
Weekly Art Project: Midpoint Review
2 hours ago