Friday, April 9, 2010

Twelve by Twelve Down Under

Our publisher Lark Books has completed photography of all of the quilts from the Theme Series and dispatched the quilts Down Under.  It's always a little nerve wracking to ship quilts, especially across the ocean blue, but they arrived in Australia safely before Easter.  Today it was my privilege to unpack them and sort them into theme sets in anticipation of our forthcoming exhibition tour.
For me, it was a very moving experience to see all these quilts together for the first time.  I had the boardroom to myself but anyone listening at the door would have heard me gasp as I opened each travelling pack (Terri's of course had cat fabric!).  In compiling the Twelve by Twelve website I have pored over images of all of these quilts but surveying the treasures before me, I discovered an entirely new level of detail and texture: the wonderful hand stitching in Karen's community quilt Similar Differences; the three-dimensional rose petals in Gerrie's Satin Sheets; the layers and stitching in Deborah's She Sits to Dream and so on. There was no time to linger today but I look forward to the opening of our international exhibition tour at the Australasian Quilt Convention on 29 April 2010.

8 comments:

Françoise said...

Oh, I wish I could come and see them all!

Heidi said...

Me too. Will they travel to Germany or at least to Europe ?

Terri Stegmiller said...

Oh what fun!!! Just think you are the very first Twelve to see all of them at once.

Deborah Boschert said...

This just makes me so excited! Thank you for all your hard work, Brenda.

Gerrie said...

I have chills. You are the first of the twelves to see them all together.

June Calender said...

No reproduction, photo or blog, can ever equal the wonderfulness of the real thing, this is in spades about quilts.

Kristin L said...

I am just a teensy bit jealous that you have now seen them ALL in real life. The few that I have seen are definitely better in person than in photos (as it always is). I wish you and Kirsty the best of luck at the upcoming exhibitions and thank you sincerely for taking on the responsibility of showing our works Down Under. :-)

Terry Grant said...

Oh, just the thought of them being there all together in the real cloth is making me a little goosebumpy!