Friday, April 9, 2010

Learning from Each Other



I've finished my Kilauea quilt and had to giggle as I was putting the finishing touches on it.

As a final step, I decided to sew black seed beads (as a nod to Pele's Tears) onto the border the same way Deborah has added beads to several of her quilts. In my mind, I heard her advice that this technique looks especially nice when one only adds the beads and/or stitching to part of the border, But I decided no, that was a cop out and really, MY quilt could handle beads all the way around. I'd change the color of the floss in a few places though.

When I was about half way done, it was obvious that beads all around was too much and the parts I liked best were the few areas where I changed color. So I removed most of the stitching and beads.

I really should listen to those voices in my head.

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

I am doing some beading for the QA@15 and I know that voice.

I guess I better get a plan for the volcano, but it probably won't be a volcano. I think I am going with the colors.

Lynn Cohen said...

Looks very pretty. There is something addicting about beading. It's so relaxing I just want to add more and more. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

Deborah Boschert said...

Tee hee. I can't wait to see it.