I've finished my Kilauea quilt and had to giggle as I was putting the finishing touches on it.
As a final step, I decided to sew black seed beads (as a nod to Pele's Tears) onto the border the same way Deborah has added beads to several of her quilts. In my mind, I heard her advice that this technique looks especially nice when one only adds the beads and/or stitching to part of the border, But I decided no, that was a cop out and really, MY quilt could handle beads all the way around. I'd change the color of the floss in a few places though.
When I was about half way done, it was obvious that beads all around was too much and the parts I liked best were the few areas where I changed color. So I removed most of the stitching and beads.
I really should listen to those voices in my head.
We are twelve quilt artists who embarked on an art challenge together. We're from different places throughout the world and our artistic styles vary, but we share a love of art quilting and a desire to play, experiment, learn, and grow.
For four years (2007-2011), we each made a 12x12 inch quilted art piece on a designated theme or palette. See our Theme Series and our Colorplay series.
For the 2012 Series, we changed things a bit and made rectangular pieces, 20x12 inches with roughly 10 weeks between each challenge. As before, we had a designated theme for each challenge.
We shared our process, progress, and results on this blog. It remains a key record of our rich collaboration.