Saturday, December 12, 2009

Petal Pink


Flowers! One of my most favorite things. I love including flowers in my art. Since pink is a common flower color, I decided to create a flower quilt. I’ve seen other quilts made in a similar fashion where the blocks are created, cut up and then the block parts are swapped around to create new blocks. I wanted to do that with my pink flowers.

When we first decided to create a round of quilts with colors for the theme, I entertained thoughts of creating abstract quilts. I seem to struggle with abstract designs more than figurative quilts. But for some reason I couldn’t bring myself to create a pink abstract quilt. I have no idea why.

I’m not afraid of pink or find it a color that I don’t like, so I don’t have any problems with using this color in my work. The first image I envisioned for a pink quilt was a big eyeball all in pink, to represent pink eye. The day that Diane announced the color for our first round, was the day after my husband came home from work and said a worker on the job has pink eye. Eeeek! I like flowers much more!

7 comments:

Diane Perin said...

This has such a peaceful feeling -- I feel very contented when I look at this, Terri. I knew from the wonderful use of commercial fabrics that this was yours -- you use pattern so well. I also like the symmetry of repeating flowers but the assymmetrical centers -- gives a sense of how real flowers aren't perfect and uniform. Lovely!

Gerrie said...

Grids! I love them. What can I say. I love how you have used all of these delightful pinks and added punch with the blac prints.

Terry Grant said...

This is so Terri--that whimsey and delicacy that gently dances across this piece. Lovely.

Kristin L said...

It's a traditional quilt, and then again it's not. Petal pink and flowers are a perfect pairing. Pretty in pink.

kirsten said...

This has a real 1930's feel to me. You make me want to play around with the making blocks and cutting them up idea some more! Very appealing!

Françoise said...

It's lovely. I like how you've cut up your blocks and created new ones with the pieces. Very clever.

Karen said...

I think my favorite part of this quilt is the uneven black centers, they kind of throw my eye off and I like that!