Saturday, December 12, 2009

Owning Pink

Oddly, I have embraced pink more as an adult than I did as a kid. Maybe it's more confidence in myself as a woman. Instead of feeling confined to the girliness it connotes, I can celebrate it. That's what my piece is about -- being strong in one's femininity.



I take a women's kickboxing class twice a week for the fantastic workout if provides. At least half the women in class have pink boxing gloves and wrist wraps. It's not unusual to see pink T-shirts either. These are not prissy woman-girls who glow rather than sweat. They are regular women with regular jobs and they (we) pack a mean punch (and sweat a lot).



So with this piece I celebrate both the inner and outer strength of women. It's made of (pink!) leather like my kickboxing gloves, and black velvet like that other symbol of classic femininity, the little black dress. For a little added oomph, it's embellished with crystal beads, sequins and french knots ('cause I think deep down we all like a little sparkle). Pow!

8 comments:

Gerrie said...

Since I have seen this in person, the photo does not do it justice. The lovely beading sets this off so wonderfully. This is a very textural piece. You just want to touch all the different parts. Pow back at ya!

Diane Perin said...

Great comment on feminine power! I love all of the contrast here, on so many levels. Wish I could see it in person!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Kristin, this is very POWerful! I love that you used leather for the word POW. I'm with Diane, and wish I could see it in person to better enjoy the beading etc.

Terry Grant said...

I was going to say what Gerrie said--the photo does not do it justice! (I got to see it in person too) It is so "feely" with its luscious pink leather and the black velvet. And the sparkles are very rich. Love the graphic quality of this piece. It is POW for sure!

kirsten said...

Fabulous! Just the idea of pink leather makes me smile, but used here it couldn't be better.

jude said...

well you know my fear of pink has been overcome... this is really a statement. love it.

Karen said...

POW is right! This just jumps right out and it's wonderful

Françoise said...

So, that's what you did with the pink leather you had ordered! This is a fun quilt. I too would like to see the beading in real.