Wednesday, February 18, 2009

School Windows

I am endeavouring to spring (summer?) clean my studio and came across this piece that I made for the City & Guilds course that I undertook with Linda Kemshall way back when...

It seemed suitably window-ish to add some colour to this blog post but I really want to share a window image from an even earlier era in my education. A entire generation of children in New Zealand, Australia and the United Kingdom will recall the windows from the television program Playschool where you were invited to explore the big wide world through the square, round or arch window (scroll down to view). Apparently the Australian Playschool windows are now part of the collection in the National Museum of Australia but I missed them on my last visit. My favourite was always the arch window. Kirsten and Helen (and any readers of a certain age!)- what was your favourite Playschool window?

6 comments:

JB said...

Please repost. I did not find any windows attached, except for the fabric photo at the beginning of your blog. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I loved the arched window too. I used to try and wish them into choosing it every day (caught myself still doing it 15-20 yrs later when my son was a tot ...)

click the "square, round or arch window" link & scroll down, Judy.

Unknown said...

Oh great. I think that its the first time I have been refered ro as being ' of a certain age'! But you are right. I can't recall a favourite window - I think even then it seemed to me that it didn't really matter because it was lilkey that whatever they wante dto show would be behind them all!. But we - and I am sure many other houses - had our own Big Ted, Little Ted and Hamble. I preferred Rainbow.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I was definitely an arched window fan, too! I also liked the round one but the arched one was the winner.

PAMELA said...

Is it never too old for one to watch Playschool? I missed out, and no, I am not too young, sorry to say. Love this quilt - the colours, shapes, and lines are so interesting to the eye.

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

This is a lovely piece! Can you tell me a little more about how it is constructed? I love the many layers of fabric peeking out.