Wow - this was really a challange. I am not a mathmatical person, I have no love for numbers, and most of my children are the same. The idea for this piece was to show my frustration with math, and trying over the years to help my kids with their homework. I started with a piece of black cotton sateen that I screened over with a bleach solution using a thermofax screen I made from my son's homework. I then tried out a new technique I learned in my recent class with Claire Benn and Leslie Morgan called paper lamination. Using matte medium and sheer polyester fabric, I laminated my son' work to the fabric, I then used fusible interfacing to hold it down and added the handstitching. It was fun to work with this method, and kind of sad that as I was stitching, I couldn't figure out any of the equations!
Weekly Art Project: Week 34
6 days ago