Thursday, September 11, 2008

Stuck for Now

How long until our next challenge is due? I'm having a hard time getting motivated on this one. It's not that I don't like the theme -- in fact I like it very much. I have several pages in my sketchbook filled with words and phrases: home (protection, not roots), shelter from a storm, a sheltered life, "Gimme Shelter," sheltered cove (pirate map), shelter from the storm, tax shelter, provide shelter (me--I provide shelter--not financially, but in terms of being the source of comfort, protection and stability in our family), quilt fort as a form of shelter.

I hung on to the next to last idea for a while, but then decided that I provide comfort and stability, but not shelter. Perhaps I'm being more literal than need be, but if my gut says it's not right, then it's not right. So I think I'm back with a sheltered life.

However, I'm having a hard time getting motivated to work on this, or any other project for that matter. But I have little desire to get to work/play. Maybe it's because I tried really hard to keep everything going during our transition time in Germany that I've run out of "oomph" here. I powered through the "Illumination" challenge, which should have been the tough one for me given that most everything was packed up. Our transition is essentially over though and I could theoretically get back to normal. My sewing room is set up enough that I can lay hands on whatever I need. So, I'd think that this would be the easier challenge for me. But it's not. I'm not sure why.

My challenge now is going to be to get through this creative slump and show up on time for the big reveal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The next reveal date is 1 October. That gives you about three weeks. Easier said than done I know. With all the energy required for moving and nesting, I can quite understand that there is little in reserve for creating. But I am still excited to see what you come up with!

Deborah Boschert said...

Plenty of time. Take it easy. It will happen.

Karen said...

If you're like me the organizational side of your brain has been in high gear trying to get moved, and it's difficult to switch over to the creative side when you probably still have details to be taken care of. Maybe just playing in your studio with out a specific goal in mind, or if you have a journal you can go back to for inspiration that would spur you on.

Diane Perin said...

I am SO with you on this, Kristin, but I don't have the excuse of moving house. I have ideas, I have sketches... but I can't seem to get moving. I feel like I'm just muddling about, not liking anything and unable to settle. And I really like the theme, too!